Tuesday, September 13, 2016

3 Years into my 1951 Topps Set

Three and a half years ago, I posted a blog on my first acquisition from the 1951 Topps set.  With the acquisition of three new cards today, I've somehow managed to put together 86 cards from this 106-card set during that time.


I finally broke down and purchased a box of 12-pocket pages to store my 1948 Bowman to 1951 Topps collection and save space.  As with all of my sets, my 1951 Topps collection is organized by team winning percentage followed by player's age.  In this case, the Yankees beat the Giants for their 3rd consecutive World Series victory after Bobby Thomson hit that famous HR against the Dodgers in a tie-breaker to get into the World Series.  The rest of the team follow by winning percentage.


Sometime over the past three and a half years, I was able to complete the "A" series (Red Backs) consisting of 52 Topps Base cards, and what I like to refer to as the first 2 Topps Traded cards for a total of 54 different "A" series cards.  Since then, I've been focusing on the much more expensive "B" series (Blue Backs), from which I've managed to complete 32 of the 52 cards so far.  


When I first started collecting baseball cards in 1987, I had never even heard of the 1951 Topps set.  The industry seemed to behave as though Topps didn't come out until 1952.  It wasn't until Topps' 40th anniversary set in 1991 when I first started to question when the initial Topps set was released.  I don't even think that price guides were acknowledging this set during my initial collecting years.  I don't actually remember when I first discovered this set, but I'm willing to bet that it didn't occur until after my return from a 10-year hiatus away from the hobby in 2001.  


I think this is a fantastic set deserving of much more respect from the baseball card industry, and hope to have it completed long before Topps' 70th anniversary.






1 comment: