Friday, September 23, 2016

1970 Topps Booklet #22: Bob Gibson, St. Louis Cardinals, P

     Just when I thought that I've completed the 1970's Topps decade collection, I discover a few insert sets that I'd like to include into my collection. The first two were the 1973-1974 Topps Team Checklist insert cards that I finally completed a few weeks ago, and now rest in the front of each of the team sets in my set binders.  Recently, I discovered the 1970-1971 Topps Scratchoffs, Posters, and Booklets.


     Here's my first Booklets double that I've also listed for sale.  It's a copy of Hall of Famer Bob Gibson's story in not-so-great condition, but very interesting never-the-less.  I did manage to complete the 24-card Booklets insert set this week, and currently have them organized numerically in the back of my '70T set binder.  I'm not yet sure if I'll integrate them into my base set, but it is certainly a consideration right now.    





     I think the 1970 Topps set deserves to get a better look from collectors.  The grey backgrounds with the blue and yellow card backs design probably wasn't the most appealing to collectors, but the set is full of great photos of stars either early or late during their careers.  It also has a 3 cool insert sets that are still very affordable.  I find myself looking more often at my 1970 Topps set than many of my other early-'70s sets, including the typically more popular 1971 Topps set.  I guess there is just something special about the 1970 set that is easy to overlook at first glance.    

No comments:

Post a Comment