Wednesday, December 23, 2015

1951 Topps Series A (Red Backs) set completion

In December 2012, I purchased my first 1951 Topps card.  Three years later, I can finally say that I've completed Series A of the 1951 Topps set--also known as Red Backs.  Series A consists of 52 base cards and 2 "traded" cards for a total of 54 cards.  The following four cards represent all that was needed to complete Series A:

1951 Topps #A-7 Howie Pollet
1951 Topps #A-9 Roy Sievers
1951 Topps #A-41 Whitey Lockman
1951 Topps #A-46 Billy Goodman


In my opinion, owning a complete set makes you a sort of "voting member" for that set.  I've made no secret of my belief that:

*The 1951 Topps set is the first real Topps baseball card set--not the 1952 Topps set.
*The 1951 Topps set consists of two series of 104 + 2 = 106 total cards--not two separate sets of 52.
*The 1951 Topps Series A set is greatly undervalued.

It's good to know that the Topps company now somewhat agrees with me, demonstrated by their release of this year's 2015 Topps Heritage '51 Collection consisting of 104 total cards.  If I was interested in Heritage sets, I'd definitely be going after this one as it looks to be a really cool set.  As it stands now, I'm more interested in Reprint sets than Heritage sets.


In terms of being undervalued, I've found that '51T Series A cards sell for well above book value.  In fact, I haven't been able to find Series A cards priced according to the book values.  I would propose that Beckett consider revising their listings of 1951 Topps Series A accordingly:

Commons = $20.00
Minor Stars = $25.00
Semi-Stars = $30.00

I think the above pricing more accurately reflects the market for '51T series A.  Also, I would like to see Beckett combine their listings for the 1951 Topps set numbered from A1 to B52.  The cards clearly say series A or series B on them.


With Series A completed, I've moved on to collecting the rest of the Series B (Blue Backs) set.  With the acquisition of Mickey Vernon, I now have 17 of the 52 cards in Series B for a grand total of 71 cards in the 1951 Topps set.  With commons valued at $30.00 each, this might take me another three years to complete--especially with the increased popularity resulting from release of the new Heritage set.


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on finishing those off. It's a fun, historic set.

    ReplyDelete