Sunday, September 20, 2015

The Ultimate Vintage Baseball Card Checklist: Part II

To keep in line with the theme of my previous post, I am posting my other ultimate checklist book, 'Classic Baseball Cards: The Golden Years, 1886-1956'.  Between this book and the one from my previous post, I have a picture of just about every worthwhile baseball card ever produced (outside of recent or easily affordable card sets).


Today, I'm featuring the "checklist" of the 1950 Bowman set from the dusty pages of my legendary tome.  I started collecting the '50 Bowman set just a couple of years ago in order to complete the gap of '50s-decade baseball card sets--since Topps didn't begin manufacturing baseball cards until 1951.  The 1950 bowman set led to the the 1948 and 1949 sets, and then all of vintage Bowman sets in general.  After more than two years of purchasing '50s Bowmans little by little, I've finally come to within 2 cards of completing this entire set: #22 J.Robinson and #98 T.Williams.  This is truly unbelievable to me as I never even dreamed of owning a set like this.  I once saw a T.Williams card for between $60-$70 but I wanted it for little more than $50 (or 5% BV).  You've got to beware of people selling reprints as originals.  I'm often pointing out to sellers the obvious reprints with the all-black backs--'50 Bowmans have a red logo, not black.  Before the movie '42' came out, I was finding J.Robinsons for as low as $80-$90, but was waiting to find one for just over $60 (or 5% BV again).  I'll probably have to wait for all of the hype to calm down a bit for this one, but now that I'm down to only these two cards, I can spend more time focusing my efforts.    


The 1950 bowman set eventually led to the the 1948 and 1949 sets, and then all of the vintage Bowman sets in general.  After more than two years of purchasing '50s Bowmans little by little, I've finally come to within 2 cards of completing this entire set: #22 J.Robinson and #98 T.Williams.  This is truly unbelievable to me as I never even dreamed of owning a set like this, but it will soon become a reality.


I once saw a T.Williams card for between $60-$70, but I wanted to purchase it for about $50 (or 5% BV).  As a side note, you've certainly got to beware of people selling reprints as originals.  I'm often pointing out to sellers the obvious reprints they're listing as original with the all black-printed card backs--'50 Bowmans have a red logo, not black.  


Before the movie '42' came out, I was finding J.Robinsons for as low as $80-$90 online, but was waiting to find one for just over $60 (or 5% BV again).  I'll probably have to wait for all of the '42' hype to calm down a bit before getting a good deal on this one.


Now that I'm down to only these two key cards, I feel that I can take a breather, and spend more time focusing my efforts on a good deal.  This is really a great set that was copied by the 1951 Bowman, which is much more expensive because of the Mantle and Mays rookies.    















No comments:

Post a Comment