Friday, December 5, 2014

Reorganizing my '87 Topps Set (Part 2): Seattle Mariners

Excited about the opportunity to get more usage value out of my card sets, I'm presenting a couple more pages from one of my personal team favorites: the Seattle Mariners. 


In this example, I made a switch from my last post by placing the manager card in the center of the position player page instead of the pitching ace.  Once again, the top 3 cards represent the Outfielders from left to right: Phil Bradley, John Moses, and Mike Kingery.  The bottom 5 cards around the edges represent the Infielders starting from the bottom-center and going counterclockwise: Scott Bradley, Alvin Davis, Harold Reynolds, Rey Quinones, and Jim Presley.


The second page represents the pitching staff.  Once again, I used baseball-reference.com to determine the order by comparing Games Started/Finished with Innings Pitched, ERA, Wins, Strikeouts, etc.  For the 5-man starting rotation, I chose: Mark Langston, Mike Moore, Mike Morgan, Scott Bankhead, and Lee Guetterman.  For the middle relievers, I chose: Steve Shields, Jerry Reed, and Bill Wilkinson.  For the closer, I chose: Ed Nunez.


Implementing this organizational structure is still a work-in-progress for me.  Although I considered attempting something like this when first putting my cards into pages years ago, the question of what to do with the rest of the cards kept me from choosing this method.  For the AL teams, this format does not allow me to display the DH.  Back-up catchers and 4th Outfielders are not represented.  Not all team sets have manager cards.  There are a lot of considerations to address if I am going to continue reorganizing other sets.  Also, this method is more subjective than organizing each team from oldest to youngest player.  A player with the most innings in a position may have been replaced late season by someone who eventually became the team's everyday starter.  Selecting order of the starting rotation, middle relievers, and closers is even tougher--especially during the transitional eras of the past the only used 3-man or 4-man rotations. 


The main thing is to have fun with these sets.  A baseball card "collector" should not be organizing their complete sets in numerical order. 


No comments:

Post a Comment