Wednesday, July 2, 2014

1970 Topps #712: Nolan Ryan, New York Mets, P

The primary roadblock to completing a 1970 Topps baseball card set is acquiring Nolan Ryan's 3rd year card.  It's taken me some time, but I finally found one for just over 11% BV, which makes it a perfect fit for my collection.  If you've been paying attention to asking prices for lower-grade early Nolan Ryan cards, you'd probably agree that they aren't going for under 20% BV in any condition.  With book values such as commanded by Ryan's cards, there's a hefty difference between it's cost at 10%, 20%, and 30% BV.
 
 
With the toughest card of 1970 Topps now out of the way, the final 6 cards missing from my collection should be a breeze.  Except for Ron Santo's card, the rest of my missing cards are just commons from the final two series.  Santo's card books at only $8.00, but is hard to find at even 50% BV.  I may have to overpay a little for the last few at between 30%-50% BV.  I'm anticipating completing this set before the summer is over.  
 

With completion of the 1970 Topps baseball card set soon to follow, I will have completed not only 3 key sets from the early '70s this year alone, but all of the Topps baseball card sets from the entire '70s decade. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm also,trying to complete this set. My last one for the 70's

    ReplyDelete