Thursday, July 17, 2014

1955 Topps #33 T.Qualters & #148 L.Ortiz Phillies

I've recently began building up my '55s as they become available for just a dollar, and have thus far, been able to acquire over 20% of the set already.  Not all of my '55T acquisitions are one dollar commons though, as my current collection also includes a J.Robinson and R.Campanella.  Here are couple of Phillies cards that I scanned from my earlier acquisitions of '55T that have been sitting in my blog drafts. 


Tom Qualters pitched in 8 different games for the Phillies beginning as an 18-year old between 1953-1958.  He was purchased by the White Sox early in the '58 season, where Qualters would pitch in 26 more games before being sent back down to the minors later that year to end his major league career.     


I could find no record of Lou Ortiz ever playing in the majors.  He spent of majority of his 13-year minor league career in the Cardinals' farm system between 1946 through 1954--mostly with the Rochester Red Wings AAA affiliate.  Ortiz ended his minor league career with the Kansas City A's triple-A affiliate Buffalo Bisons in 1958. 

No comments:

Post a Comment