Saturday, April 19, 2014

Mailbox: '65T Clemente/Campaneris/Kubek/Conigliaro, '62T, '54T

     Today, my mailbox left me a few much needed key cards from the '65T set.  In previous attempts not to spread myself too thin in building my '60s collection, I have neglected the three sets between '62 and '66.  With not many deals to my current needs, I found a '65T Pete Rose at 7.5% BV (hasn't arrived), which spurred me into a whirlwind of obtaining a few more key cards from set.  With the following 4 acquisitions, my 41-card collection of '65s looks just a little bit less pitiful.  Of course, the highlight of today's acquisition is the Roberto Clemente, which is tied with P.Rose and S.Carlton for second most valuable in the '65T set next to Mickey Mantle. 
     In order to convince me of purchasing the Clemente at 10% BV, the card had to be in at least [GD 2.0], which I believe it barely meets.  The corners look VG, the edges VG-EX, and the centering EX.  The surface is what kills this card, but I'd still give it a FR.  According to Beckett rules, the grade of a card can be up to two 1/2 grades higher than the lowest rating if the other three ratings warrant it.  GD is only a 1/2 grade higher than FR.  This might not align with what I'd get sending the card to a grading service (which I don't), but it certainly will align to the standard that I buy and sell cards.   
 

     Honestly, I'll tell you what I think happened to the surface of this card.  It appears that the front was gum stained at one time, and someone used a liquid chemical other than water in an attempt to remove it.  I read a few articles in some of my '80s Beckett magazine describing different ways to clean and preserve cards (Are you kidding me?).  Although it appears that this card had been "cleaned" quite some time ago, let me tell some of you a little secret that obviously many people still don't understand.  There is no such thing as a gum-stained card front.  I love buying discounted cards due to a gum-stained front.  The solution is simple, but I actually shouldn't be sharing this.  Grab cotton t-shirt or dress sock and wipe the darn thing off.  Gum stains are easily removed from the front of a card without any additional damage or trace that it was ever there to begin with.
     The other three '65s in today's mailbox are also key cards to a lesser extent, shown in Beckett's Monthly's abbreviated listings nevertheless.  The T.Conigliaro is just shy of a T-B centering of 100/0, which doesn't bother me much as it might to a Red Sox fan, or those of you old enough to remember his potential.  For me, it's another listed player in my '65 collection.  Now the B.Campaneris RC acquisition was really nice for me as a Kansas City fan.  Prior to obtaining this, I was only one card shy of completing two pages of A's cards in my '65 binder (if you could call it that).  I actually have to put all of my '63, '64, and '65s into the same binder right now.  I like the T.Kubek acquisition since I've been listening to him a lot as an announcer in some of my "throwback" World Series DVDs, such as the '82 series between the Cardinals and Brewers that I'm currently finishing up. 


     The next two cards simply add to my collection of favorite sets from the '50s and '60s.  For quite a while, I wondered why K.Hubbs was a listed player and often passed on the opportunity to purchase this card for 15% BV, but have recently come to realize that similar to T.Conigliaro above, Hubb's career had been affected by more than just the aging process and daily grind.  In Hubb's case, his career had been cut short due to a plane crash that ended his life.  He was apparently a very talented player that never had the opportunity to come anywhere near to realizing his potential. 


     Steve O'Neill began his MLB career as a catcher with the Cleveland Indians and played for a total of 17 seasons for four different teams between 1911-1928.  He appeared in all 7 games of the 1920 World Series Indians' victory over the Brooklyn Dodgers.  O'Neill certainly factored into the series outcome, batting .333 with a Run, 2 RBI, 7 Hits, and 4 Walks in 25 plate appearances.  He had 3 brothers who also played in the majors.  He began managing after a car crash shortened his playing career and reached the Major League level again in 1935, again with the Cleveland Indians.  O'Neill continued managing over a 20 year span for four different teams through the 1954 season, highlighted by his Tigers' 1945 World Series victory over the Chicago Cubs.  This was his last baseball card.  


No comments:

Post a Comment