Sunday, January 19, 2014

1972 Topps (Traded) #755: Steve Carlton P, Philadelphia Phillies

In an earlier post, I mentioned that the Cey/Oglivie/Williams Rookie Stars card was one of the most difficult '72T high-number cards to obtain at an appropriate percentage of the listed book value.  Another card from the set that is about equally difficult to obtain at an appropriate percentage of the listed book value is Steve Carlton's "Traded" card.  When I first began collecting this set around 2007, it was the first time that I had to purchase the cards individually due to the cost of obtaining a complete (or near complete) set.  To build this set, I attended card shows, visited local card shops, and made purchases online.  From the start, I set my upper price limit at around 20% BV, which translates to a condition of roughly around VG.  I did not really take condition into much consideration; however; being more concerned with the bottom line price than condition.  As I compiled more and more of the '72T set, the 20% BV upper price limit was lifted to become 25% BV.  Throughout the past 7 or so years, there were only two cards that I could not find for anywhere near my established price limitations.  The first one was #761; the other was Steve Carlton's traded card.  At 20% BV, I was expecting to pay only $8.00 for the card initially.  When I began collecting at 25% BV, I was expecting to pay under $10.00 for the card.  Although the differential was not as great as the R.Cey RC, it was difficult enough to become of the last 10 cards needed to complete my set (post listed out of order).


  
BV: $40.00 (listed star)
Cost: $8.95 (paid 22% BV)
Condition: VG+ 3.5 (worth 25% BV)
Completion: 777 of 787 (98% complete)
Comment:

No comments:

Post a Comment