Sunday, May 12, 2013

1951 Topps #A-13: Dale Mitchell, Cleveland Indians, OF

Dale Mitchell was born on 8/23/1921 in Colony, OK.  He began playing for the Indians almost immediately after graduating from the University of Oklahoma in 1946.  Mitchell had a major impact on the success of the '48 World Series champions, having led the league in Singles, placing second in Hits, and placing third in Batting Average that year.  In 1949, Mitchell made the All-Star team for the first time, leading the league in Hits, Singles, and Triples.  Defensively, he led the league in Fielding % as an OF in both '48 and '49, and remained in the top three for LF during the next three years through 1952.  Mitchell made the All-Star team for the second time in '52, ranking second in the league for Batting Average.  In 1954, he also made it to the World Series for the second time with the Indians, eventually losing out to the NY Giants.  In 1956, Mitchell was traded to the Dodgers where he finished out his career making the World Series for the third time against the Yankees.  Dale Mitchell passed away on 1/5/1987 in Tulsa, OK at the age of 65.



BV: $15 (for semistars)
Cost: $3.01 (paid 20% BV)
Conditon: G-VG 2.5 (worth 20% BV)
Completion: 19 of 104 (18% complete)
Comment:  In my earlier postings for this set, I mentioned that these cards may have been undervalued according to Beckett.  A quick comparison between my recent '50 Bowman and '51 Topps acquisitions shows that obtaining '51 Topps cards are more difficult that initially anticipated.  Although similar values are listed for common cards of both sets, I was able to obtain 118 different '51 Bowmans in roughly the same amount of time it took me to obtain 19 different '51 Topps cards.  '51 Topps cards are not being sold according to Beckett pricing standards.  To date, this post exhausts my collection of '51s.  I still have many more '50 Bowmans to post as time permits.  I will continue to purchase '51 Topps as I find them for roughly under 20% BV.

1 comment:

  1. The OU baseball stadium is named after Mitchell. I still don't own any of his cards. I need to fix that though. The 51's look kind of cool, but I prefer the look of the Bowmans, with the action poses and stadium in the background. Cool card though.

    ReplyDelete